Tuesday, April 30, 2024

Zucchini

#AtoZChallenge 2024 letter Z 
Yeah, what else did you expect me to blog about? 

Everyone knows about zucchini. Probably everyone who gardens has an abundance of this squash! I know when I had gardens in Montana, zucchini was the one plant that would thrive! And multiply! And take over the garden! LOL

The squash is such a versatile food. You can use it to make zucchini bread, make zucchini cake, make a casserole, or just sauté it with yellow summer squash, tomatoes, onions and peppers for a tasty vegetable side dish.

Zucchini Casserole (from my first mother-in-law)
Grate zucchini squash and onion, chop in fresh tomatoes and green pepper. Grate cheese and add bread crumbs. bake about 30 minutes.

Chocolate Zucchini Cake
1/2 c. butter
1/2 c. oil
1 3/4 c sugar
2 eggs
1/2 c. buttermilk
1 tsp vanilla
2 1/2 c. flour
1/2 c. Hershey's cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp cloves
2=3 c shredded zucchini
1 c nuts
1 c dates (optional)
Mix ingredients in the order given. Spread in 9"x13" pan, greased. Sprinkle with 1/2 c chocolate chips. bake at 350 for 35-45 minutes or until tests done. Frost with cream cheese for chocolate frosting after it's cooled, or serve warm with whipped cream. 
(Sometime, I'll have to attempt to "veganize" this!)

Thank you for joining me on this journey through the alphabet! My hopes are that this jumpstart will help to keep me blogging on this blog consistently. Please check back often!

2 comments:

  1. I am one of those few people who think there isn't such a thing as too much zucchini. And perhaps that's why we seem to be the only gardeners who don't get a bumper crop. I accept donations, lol. Congrats on completing the Challenge - with two blogs, too. Double the congratulations. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.cm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Actually, I journeyed through the alphabet on THREE blogs...Insane? Maybe! LOL I don't have a garden, so I can't donate to your zucchini supply, sorry. ;)

      Delete

We treasure your comments.