Thursday, January 3, 2019

Sad News

I don't know if this would really qualify as a health tip, but I am discussing health, mental health to be exact, in this post.

Yesterday I received a message from my 19 year old son, the one who lives with my brother and his family, off in another state. He told me that a friend of his had committed suicide. I've met this family, once.

Immediately my mama heart ached for this mother. The excruciating pain she is going through must be unbearable. The young man's sister must also be numb with pain.

My heart also immediately ached for my son, and I longed to be there to hold him in my arms. In addition, I am concerned, because his mental health is already fragile.

When I told someone about this young man's suicide, her response was: Why? Why would someone end their life like that? Why would someone give up on life?

Maybe someone is suffering such deep depression. Or perhaps that person feels totally betrayed by everyone in his/her life. Maybe he or she feels like a total failure, and thinks she or he cannot go on any longer. And maybe there is no way to actually know the answer. Then again, perhaps it is a physical health condition that triggers it.

This morning, the mother of the young man posted this on Facebook:

The following was written about my son, from one of the groups I am in for him on FB. I urge you to read it. Especially if you have questions about why he is gone.
 
Last night a Christian mom in the USA lost her son to PANS/PANDAS. She had just put him
on an SSRI a few weeks ago. He was 17. He lost his life at his own hands. His symptoms were the same that I see regularly. OCD, tics, autism. These are an illness of epic proportions and nothing to joke about. Infections trigger the immune system to attack the brain until the person is no longer themselves but a slave to the disease. Mental clarity and the ability to make good choices are just as dependent on healthy tissue as going up stairs or folding laundry or running. When tissue is inflamed it malfunctions and when it malfunctions the things it is supposed to do don't get done or get done incorrectly. When it's the brain that is inflamed, it cannot be relied on to protect us or think about things correctly. People who commit suicide are not selfish. They are not sinners. They are not damned. They are victims of fallen flesh the same as you are with your lower back pain or your osteoarthritis in your knees. My prayers are with this family and with every single person battling mental illness. They are our children, our mothers, our brothers and sisters. They are the homeless and the famous. Pray for them. Pray for the medical community to start treating mental illness for what it is. We know that most central nervous system degenerative diseases are autoimmune in nature. Why do we keep treating mental illness like it is a choice?


If you need to learn what PANS/PANDAS is, you can read about it here (yes, I had to look it up myself):  What is PANDAS/PANS?

Today I ask you to pray for this family. While you're praying, please pray for my son as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We treasure your comments.